A home blood test provides easy access to knowing your body’s health status. It is simple and offers results within the same day.
For assessing underlying infections or determining levels of vitamins and hormones, a blood test is an indispensable tool. However, sometimes, going to a clinic, hospital or lab for the test may not be feasible. In such cases, an at-home lab test is an excellent alternative, which can provide your test results within a day so to help you 5make an informed decision. There are various benefits to having blood tests at home, which we will discuss in this blog.
What Do Blood Tests Show?
Blood tests do not diagnose a disease, but they help notice changes in your body.
1) Your blood test shows if your red blood cells (RBCs) are working efficiently. RBC carries oxygen throughout the body. A low count of RBC may indicate anaemia. Furthermore, larger-sized RBCs may indicate a blood disorder or cancer.
2) Your blood tests show the levels of hormones, enzymes, and electrolytes, all of which are necessary to carry out various functions in your body.
What is a Blood Test at Home, and Why is It Important?
A blood test shows how well your kidneys, thyroid, heart, and liver work. The tests can also detect diabetes, cancer, coronary heart disease, and much more. The most common tests done through blood work are complete blood count, lipid panel, thyroid test, vitamin deficiency test, and metabolic panel. These tests are done with the help of a phlebotomist who visits your home to collect your blood sample.
Getting your blood tests done at home is beneficial if you:
- Are unable to leave your home due to your household responsibilities.
- Have a sick member in the house who needs regular medical check-ups.
- Need an immediate health check-up done.
- Have an older individual who can’t go to the clinic.
- Have a disabled individual at home who needs a health check-up.
Benefits of Blood Tests at Home
There are various advantages to this test, which include:
- You won’t have to worry about taking a sick, disabled, or older family member to a clinic. All the blood work can be done right at your home.
- If your city has limited access to medical facilities, you can get the tests done at your home.
- You will get your reports faster. Typically, at-home blood tests give your test results within the same day.
- At-home blood tests offer time slots for a phlebotomist to come to your home for sample collection. You can easily select one of the time slots for your test.
How is the Test Done?
Blood tests at home are easy to do. They start with a certified phlebotomist visiting your house to collect the blood sample. The procedure is easy and quick.
- The phlebotomist will use an antiseptic to clean the injection site and draw blood using a sterile needle.
- The drawn blood will be collected in a tube or a vial.
- A band-aid will be applied to the injection site.
- The collected sample will be sent to a lab for evaluation.
Preparation For the Test
Preparation depends on the test being done. For instance, a person may need to fast for at least 8-12 hours, for glucose fasting and thyroid test. You can drink water but no other fluids.
In conclusion, blood tests at home help fill the gap in healthcare accessibility. These tests are helpful for a busy person who has a lot of work and household responsibilities, or the person is a sick person, a disabled individual, or an older person who can’t travel much. You can book the test at your convenience, get a timely diagnosis of an underlying disease, and access immediate treatment.